Licensing Boards

Social Work Examiners

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between a CEU and a contact hour?One CEU is equal to 10 contact hours of participation in a noncredit organized continuing education program conducted by an approved sponsor. Therefore, if you attend a program approved for .6 CEU's, it is the same as 6 contact hours.

You must complete 30 contact hours in your two year licensure period, or 3 CEU's in order to renew your license.

How do I compute continuing education hours from hours earned at an accredited college or university? One academic credit hour is equal to 15 contact hours of participation in a noncredit continuing education program.

How often is the examination given? The examination is given daily in Sioux Falls and Rapid City. However, you must be approved by this Board in order to sit for the examination.

All applicants for CSW-PIP licensure must have full Board approval in order to sit for the examination. If you are looking for CSW-PIP licensure, please remember that you must wait until the full board meets in order to get the approval to sit for the examination.

What is the difference between the Social Work Board and the National Association of Social Workers? The Social Work Board has as its main goal protection of the public by regulating the professionals it licenses.

The National Association of Social Workers (NASW) is an organization that promotes the profession of social work. The South Dakota Chapter of NASW may be reached at 605-339-9104 or at PO Box 1245 Sioux Falls, SD 57101.

How do I obtain a list of licensed social workers?

What is the contact information for ASWB?

  • Mailing address is 400 S. Ridge Parkway, Suite B, Culpeper, VA 22701.
  • Phone number if 540-829-6880.
  • Website at