Level I: Introductory Informal Education
A person in this category would be operating an unregulated family child care program or someone just starting their career as a staff person in a child care center, school-age or Head Start program.
Education and Training
- High school diploma or GED,
- Professional training (within the last year) that includes:
1) Current certificate in infant and child CPR (see glossary for definition),
2) First Aid training,
3) Six hours of training selected from two or more of the Professional Training Areas.
- Work directly with two or more unrelated children in an unregistered, registered or
licensed child care, preschool, Head Start or school-age program.
- Demonstration of professional leadership is encouraged.
Renewal Requirements (every three years)
- Maintain infant and child CPR certification and First Aid training.
- Complete a minimum of six hours of training annually covering two or more of the Professional Training Areas.
- Obtain South Dakota child care or preschool registration; or work directly with children in a state-licensed child care, Head Start or school-age program.