Child Support

Child Support Services

Applying for Child Support Services

If you are not receiving public assistance, you can apply for child support services by contacting any Division of Child Support office or by calling (605) 773-3641. You will have to fill out an application and pay a $5 fee.

If you are receiving public assistance (TANF, Medicaid, Title IV-E foster care) and you are the custodial parent of a minor child whose other parent does not live in your home, you are automatically referred for child support services. You will not have to pay a fee or fill out an application. Child support services will continue to be provided after benefits are terminated unless the custodial parent declines continued services.

A $20 fee is charged to the custodial parent, caretaker relative, guardian, attorney or agent for "location only" services. The fee for locating a noncustodial parent in child custody or parental kidnapping cases is $50 ($54 if no Social Security number is provided). A $25 fee is charged for income withholding if that is the only service desired.

After I apply, what else do I need to do?

Take part and be an active role in your case. Cooperating with the Division of Child Support improves your chances of successful support establishment and collection.

You must report changes that may affect your case. You must contact us if:

  • You or the other parent moves.
  • You or the other parent gets a new phone number or job.
  • The number of children living with you changes.
  • You have new information that might help locate the other parent.
  • You apply for public assistance.
  • You are involved in other court actions regarding support payments.
  • You hire an attorney.

If I am receiving public assistance, are there other things I need to do?

  • If paternity needs to be established or the noncustodial parent needs to be located, you must cooperate with the child support office by providing correct information.
  • If you receive child support directly from the noncustodial parent, you must report it to your child support specialist.
  • If the state makes a mistake and gives you more money than you are supposed to have, you must repay the state for the overpayment.
  • If you do not cooperate with the child support office’s action to establish paternity or child support, your public assistance benefits may be terminated.

If I apply for child support services, what rights do I have?

You have the right to:

  • Receive fair and nondiscriminatory treatment.
  • Have all private data treated as confidential.
  • Be notified of all important actions concerning your case.
  • Have the opportunity to participate in any court action involving your case.
  • Ask for reviews and adjustments to your support order.