Child Support

Child Support Services

What is Child Support?

Child support is money parents pay to help other people support their children. The court orders the support. The support may be part of an interim, temporary, permanent or modified court order in a divorce, paternity action, order for protection, child custody action or a separate child support action.

A person can receive child support if:

  • He or she is the parent of a minor child or has court-ordered custody of a minor child.
  • The minor child lives in the person’s household.
  • The child is financially dependent on that person.
  • One or both of the child’s parents are absent from the home.
  • The court has ordered the amount of child support.

Services provided by the Division of Child Support include:

  • Locating noncustodial parents.
  • Paternity establishment.
  • Establishing court orders for child support and medical support.
  • Reviewing and modifying court orders for child support.
  • Enforcing court orders for child support and medical support.
  • Enforcing alimony if child support is also being collected.
  • Work with other states to enforce support when a parent doesn't live in South Dakota.
  • Payment collection and processing.

These services are available to:

  • Parents of minor children if one parent does not live with the child.
  • People who have court-ordered, physical custody of a minor child.
  • People who receive public assistance for a minor child who lives in their home.

The Division of Child Support does not provide:

  • Divorce assistance.
  • Visitation and custody issue/mediation/resolution.If you have a court order and are having problems with visitation, the Unified Judicial system has a pro se process that may be utilized.  For more information, go to
  • Spousal maintenance (alimony) order establishment.
  • Legal advice or counsel.