Adoption Services

Foster Parenting

Frequently Asked Questions

What is foster care?

Children are placed in a foster care setting when it is not safe for them to remain in their own home.

The term foster care can be defined in a variety of different settings and may include: kinship or relative care, foster family home care, group care, residential treatment or other court ordered placement.

Is there help for children in South Dakota who need temporary care?

There are times when the court determines children need to be placed outside of the home to ensure their safety. The court places those children in the custody, care and responsibility of the Department of Social Services.

The Division of Child Protection Services (CPS) must place them in a temporary or permanent home where they will be well cared for and safe. CPS provides supervision and support to placements until the children are returned home or placed in another permanent home. Learn more.

Do kinship placements receive a subsidy?

Relatives caring for children who are in custody of the state are eligible to receive a foster care payment only if they become licensed foster parents. Families choosing not to become licensed are directed towards the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program for child only grants.

How does a child get placed out of state?

Placements into out of state group homes, residential treatment center, or other such institutions except those strictly for educational purposes or medical treatment require ICPC (Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children) approval. To begin this process, contact the Division of Child Protection Services or call 605-773-3227.

Who pays for group or residential placements?

The party who is legally and financially responsible for the child pays for the placement. When the child becomes custody of the state as a result of being adjudicated abused or neglected, the State Agency making the placement is responsible.

If a local school district determines they are unable to serve a particular child and make the placement into a group home or residential treatment facility, they are then responsible for the cost of care.

How do I become a foster parent in South Dakota?

The first step in becoming a foster parent is to contact a local CPS office, please know that you must be 21 years of age. Learn more.

What is Adult Foster Parenting?

Adult Foster Parenting homes provide room, board and general supervision of personal care services in a family home. Adult Foster Parenting can meet the needs of adults who require periodic or regular assistance with activities of daily living, but do not require nursing services. Examples of "daily living" include dressing, bathing, eating, brushing teeth, combing hair, etc.

Adult Foster Parenting homes may serve both private-pay individuals and state-pay clients. The Department of Social Services is responsible for case management services to clients age 60 and over and receiving state payment. If the client is under the age of 60, the Department of Human Services, Division of Developmental Disabilities is responsible for payment and case management. Learn more.