Families and Children
Medical Assistance for Youth Formerly in Foster Care
The Former Foster Care Medical Program provides extended medical coverage for youth age 18 to 21 that are leaving State foster care after their 18th birthday. Referrals for this program are normally generated by the Division of Child Protection Services’ staff. You may also call 1-800-305-3064 for further information.
- The youth must have been in foster care under the responsibility of the State of South Dakota on his/her 18th birthday.
- The youth must be a resident of South Dakota.
- There is no resource or income limit.
- Eligibility continues from the month the youth is no longer under the responsibility of the State until the end of the month in which the youth attains age 21 if s/he meets all other eligibility requirements.
- Click here to view a list of covered services.
- To view the Medical Recipient Handbook, please visit the Forms and Publications page of this website.