Medical Eligibility

Recipients of Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Related Programs

Disabled people over age 18 who continue to receive Social Security benefits from their parents

Some disabled people who lose Supplemental Security Income (SSI) because they become eligible for or receive an increase in Social Security Title II "Child’s Insurance" benefits may be eligible for Medical Assistance.

Eligibility Requirements

  • Individuals who receive "child’s insurance" benefits after they are 18 years old are referred to as a Disabled Adult Child (DAC).
  • A disabled adult child who was receiving SSI and lost their SSI payment after July 1, 1987, because they became eligible for DAC benefits or received an increase in DAC title II benefits may qualify for Medical Assistance. An increase can occur when benefits being paid to a sibling or a parent end.

Covered Services

Individuals who are eligible are entitled to full Medical Assistance coverage. Covered services include doctor appointments, hospital stays, dental and vision services, prescription drugs, rehab/therapy, chiropractic, etc.


  • An application can be found on the forms and publications page.
  • After completing the application, return it to the Department of Social Services office where you live. If you need assistance completing this application, contact your local DSS office.