Recipients of Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
and Related Programs
Qualified Working Individuals
Disabled working individuals may purchase continued Medicare once the extended period of eligibility is exhausted.
- An individual must have been terminated from hospital insurance benefits (Medicare Part A) due to employment, and then purchased Part A.
- The individual's income must not exceed 200 percent of the federal poverty level. ($1,702 for one, $2,282 for two and $2,862 for three). This is the monthly income limit for 2007.
- The individual's resources must not exceed twice the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) limit. Resources includes items such as checking or savings accounts and certificates of deposit.
- The individual may not be otherwise Medicaid eligible.
- The individual must be a citizen and a resident of South Dakota.
- Payment of Medicare Part A premium.
- An application can be found on the forms and publications page.
- After completing the application, return it to the Department of Social Services officewhere you live. If you need assistance completing this application, contact your local DSS office.