Medicare Part D

Extra Help with Paying Your Drug Plan Costs

If you have limited income, you may qualify for extra help paying your prescription drug costs. The annual income limit for this extra help is $14,355 for a single person or $19,245 for a couple.

The Social Security Administration's online qualifier tool can tell you whether you probably qualify or probably do not qualify for assistance with your prescription drug costs. It uses information you enter about your income and things you own. (Your home, vehicles, burial plots or personal possessions are not included.) Once you complete the application, send it back to Social Security.

The extra help application is also available for you to complete on the Social Security Administration's Web site.

You can also get an extra help application from the following agencies. These agencies are also available to help you with completing the application.

  • Social Security Administration: Call 1-800-772-1213 or visit Social Security's Web site to locate your nearest office.
  • South Dakota Department of Social Services: Call the DSS Adult Services and Aging Office at 1-866-854-5465 or visit Social Services' Web site to locate your nearest office.
  • Senior Health Information and Insurance Education (SHIINE): Call 1-800-536-8197 or visit SHIINE's website

Based on your application, the Social Security Administration will let you know by mail whether you do or do not qualify for the extra help. If you do qualify, you will have help with monthly premiums, deductibles and low co-payments for prescription drugs. If you have both Medicare and Medicaid, or the State pays for your Medicare premiums, you will automatically get extra help and do not need to apply.

You will then be asked to enroll in a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan of your choice. If you qualify for extra help paying your prescription drug costs and you do not choose a plan, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services will enroll you in a drug plan.