Crime Victims' Compensation Program
You are entitled to be protected by all of the provisions of the 1991 South Dakota Victims’ Rights Act and to be notified of your rights by the prosecutor. However, you must inform your prosecutor if you want to exercise your rights.
Know your Rights To:
- Protection from the accused offender.
- Have court proceedings explained.
- Be notified of and present at all public proceedings, unless otherwise ordered
by the judge.
- Provide written input on sentencing, bail or bond hearings and parole hearings.
- Restitution from the offender, unless reasons are stated for denying
- Be notified of the offender's release from custody.
- Request testing for certain infectious diseases.
For more information about the Crime Victims' Right of Rights contact:
- Office of the Attorney General
500 East Capitol Ave.
Pierre, SD 57501-5070