Mobile Menu Button

Licensing Information

When children are removed from their home by law enforcement or through a court order to ensure their safety, the Department of Social Services is granted custody, through state court and custody or placement, care and supervisor by tribal courts, of the children and they are placed with a safe and stable resource. 

Foster homes and facilities providing this type of service are defined as Child Welfare Agencies and must be licensed. Licensing is intended to ensure agencies maintain an acceptable standard of care and provide a safe environment for children. 

The following agencies must be licensed:

  • Family Foster Homes
  • Group Care Centers for Minors
  • Residential Treatment Centers
  • Intensive Residential Treatment Centers
  • Independent Living Preparation Programs
  • Child Placement Agencies

Foster families are licensed by the local CPS offices, while the other types of child welfare agencies are licensed by the Licensing Program Specialists in State Office. 

Questions related to licensing of foster parents can be directed to the local CPS office.

Contact Licensing Program Specialist Kevin Kanta with questions related to licensing of Group Care Centers for Minors, Residential Treatment Centers, Intensive Residential Treatment Centers, Independent Living Preparation Programs and Child Placement Agencies.

For more information, contact Kevin Kanta Child Protection Services at 605.773.3227.

List of agency licenses, license reviews, and corrective action plans.