Mobile Menu Button

Custodial Parent

The custodial parent is the person who has primary care, custody and control of a minor child(ren). A custodian may also be a caretaker who has legal custody and/or guardianship of the child(ren).

Below you will find information for custodial parents.

  • Application for Child Support Services
    If you are not receiving public assistance, you can apply for child support services by contacting any Division of Child Support office or by calling 605.773.3641.  You will have to fill out an application and pay a $5 fee.
  • Child Support Obligation
    The South Dakota Legislature has established guidelines which courts must use to determine child support payments.
  • Medical Support
    DCS will only enforce health insurance if the noncustodial parent is ordered to provide and available through employment. 
  • Modification of Child Support
    If you have a South Dakota child support order and want to modify the child support obligation, a Petition for Modification is required to be completed to initiate the process. 
  • Automated Voice Response System
    Custodial parents can use the automated voice response system toll-free from a touchtone phone to obtain up-to-date information about their child support payments.
  • DCS Customer Connect
    Custodial parents can access a secure, interactive website to obtain recent payment information, amount of child support owed, and other beneficial information.
  • Electronic Payment of Child Support
    Custodial parents can have their child support payments deposited directly into their bank accounts or an electronic payment called Way2Go MasterCard.
  • Conduent Way2Go Card
    Custodial parents who have opted for the Way2Go MasterCard are able to access account transactions.