Low Income Energy Assistance
Energy Assistance helps low-income South Dakotans pay for home heating costs. Keep in mind, energy assistance may not pay for all of your home heating cost.
- you must apply
- your total gross income may not exceed maximum income guidelines
- you must be responsible for paying home heating costs
Energy assistance funds are distributed on a first-come basis. Eligibility and assistance amounts are based on the number of people in your home, income of everyone in your home, type and cost of heating and where you live. If you are eligible, the payment is made to your energy supplier.
Emergency Components (October 1 - March 31):
Energy Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP). To qualify for ECIP energy assistance, the household must be income eligible and in a crisis, such as:
- have a current disconnection notice for the primary heat source;
- be cash-on-delivery, or refusal to deliver with less than 20% in tank; or
- have an eviction notice for non-payment if heat is included in rent or paid in addition to rent.
What do I send when applying?
1. Application. The application must be signed by everyone living in the house age 18 or older. All sections of the application must be completed.
2. Proof of Household Income for everyone living in the house that was received in the 3 calendar months prior to the month you sign and send your application
- Proof means: copies of check stubs, employer's income statements, tax return, award letters, etc. Self-employed persons must send a complete copy of the previous year tax return.
3. Proof of Home heating costs. Paid directly to an energy supplier, or paid as part of rent.
- Proof means: a copy of a recent bill or fill ticket from the energy supplier, a statement from the energy supplier showing type of heat and account number, or a statement from the landlord verifying heat is paid as part of rent or in addition to the rent.
How do I apply and what are the office hours?
- To apply for the low income energy assistance program, fill out the application.
- Office hours: 8am – 5pm (CT) Monday-Friday.
- If it is an emergency, call 1-800-233-8503.
- If you are not calling during office hours, leave a message on the answering machine stating your name, phone number and a brief description of the emergency.