A cochlear implant requires prior authorization. Authorization is based on written documentation submitted to the department by the physician that confirms the following:
- The implant will provide an awareness and identification of sound and will facilitate communication;
- There is a diagnosis of sensorineural hearing loss that is not clinically improved by the use of a hearing aid;
- The individual has a cochlea that will accept an implant;
- There are no lesions of the individual's auditory nerve or acoustic areas of the central nervous system; and
- The individual demonstrates the cognitive ability to use auditory clues and there is a willingness to undergo an extended program of rehabilitation.
Services, supplies, and implant systems are not covered if the request is to replace or upgrade a device that is functioning appropriately.
Submit your completed form to:
- Department of Social Services
Division of Medical Services
510 N Cambell
PO Box 2040
Rapid City, SD 57709-2440
- Phone 605-394-1740
- Fax: 605-394-2699