M. Greg DeSautel, MD
Cabinet Secretary

DSS Mobile Logo Mobile Menu Button

Frequently Asked Questions

My family is in need of serious financial help. Is there temporary assistance available?

South Dakota Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) is a temporary public assistance program administered by the Department of Social Services and the Department of Labor and Regulation. The main focus of the TANF Work Program is to help families to help themselves move from welfare to work by:

  • promoting family responsibility and accountability and
  • encouraging self-sufficiency through work.

Do I have to cooperate with Child Support to receive temporary assistance?

If you are receiving TANF and you are the custodial parent of a minor child whose other parent does not live in your home, you are automatically referred for child support services. You will not have to pay a fee or fill out an application. Child support services will continue to be provided after benefits are terminated unless the custodial parent declines continued services.

If you are not receiving assistance, you can apply for child support services by contacting any Division of Child Support (DCS) office or by calling 605.773.3641. You will have to fill out an application and pay a $5 fee.

If I am receiving temporary assistance for myself and children, what work participation requirements must I meet to continue to receive temporary assistance?

TANF participants are required to work in allowable work activities a minimum of 30 hours each week. If you have a child under six years old, your weekly minimum requirement is 20 hours.