Mobile Menu Button

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the process for applying for a job at the Human Services Center?

The South Dakota Human Services Center provides professionally fulfilling employment opportunities for caring individuals and dedicated professionals. The South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources website at provides access to employment applications, job listings, employment benefits, and related information.

How can college students arrange for internships at the Human Services Center?

All arrangements for internships should begin with a call to the South Dakota Human Services Center at 605.668.3100. The Human Resource staff will offer guidance and information about availability of internship opportunities.

What is done to provide for patient, staff, and visitor safety?

The South Dakota Human Services Center offers a secure environment for patient, staff, and visitor safety. The South Dakota Human Services Center is a tobacco free environment. No weapons are allowed in the hospital. Visitors are required to register upon arrival. Visitors age 18 and older are required to provide photo identification upon registration. Visitors are required to wear a Visitor Identification Badge at all times while on campus. Visitors are encouraged to leave cell phones, purses and all unnecessary items in their vehicle or items will be secured in a locker upon registration. Visitors may be escorted to and from their on-campus destination.

How can I arrange for a tour of the Human Services Center?

The South Dakota Human Services Center limits tours to prevent disruption of treatment and to ensure the confidentiality is maintained for hospitalized patients. The South Dakota Human Services may consider providing pre-arranged tours for professionals from referring agencies and for the families of prospective patients. To request a tour please call 605.668.3100.

How can I obtain information about a hospitalized patient’s condition?

The South Dakota Human Services Center strictly maintains patient confidentiality in compliance with the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (link to HIPAA), state laws, and professional mandates. Patients have the right to prevent access to information about their condition and hospitalization. If the patient or their guardians have signed release of information forms allowing transfer to the appropriate treatment unit for care providers’ assistance to provide  information. Contact the South Dakota Human Services Center at 605.668.3100. 

How does a former patient obtain information or a copy of their medical records?

Former patients may contact the South Dakota Human Services Center at 605-668-3100 and ask for the Medical Records Department. Staff are willing to assist them with reviewing the procedures for obtaining a copy of their medical record.

How can cemetery records be accessed for those buried in the Human Services Center cemetery?

The Rest View Cemetery  is located on the southern edge of the South Dakota Human Services Center campus. The last burial there took place in 1999. The graves are marked with numbered  gravestones instead of bearing the deceased’s name to maintain patient confidentiality.  Some families have chosen to honor their loved one with a traditional headstone. To obtain information about cemetery records or for procedures for adding a grave marker, please contact the South Dakota Human Services Center at 605.668.3100. The Medical Records staff can offer assistance.

Links and Resources

Community Mental Health Center
There are eleven (11) Community Mental Health Centers in South Dakota that provide services for individuals and families.

Disability Rights of South Dakota
Disability Rights of South Dakota is the non-profit legal services agency dedicated to protecting and advocating for rights and inclusion of South Dakotans with disabilities.

South Dakota's suicide hotline provides resources for suicide and crisis support.

Licensed Professionals Qualified to Conduct Court Ordered Competency Evaluations

National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
NAMI offers support, advocacy, and education regarding mental illness.

National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors (NASMHPD)
NASMHPD serves as the national representative and advocate for state mental health agencies and their directors and supports effective stewardship of state mental health systems.

South Dakota Parent Connections
South Dakota Parent Connection (SDPC) is a statewide nonprofit organization that connects families caring for children (birth to age 26) with disabilities or special health care needs to information, training and resources in an environment of support, hope and respect.

South Dakota Suicide Prevention
South Dakota suicide prevention is guided by the South Dakota Strategy for Suicide Prevention.

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
SAMHSA focuses its mission on building resilience and facilitating recovery for people with or at risk for mental or substance use disorders.

Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE Mental Health Program)
The mission of the WICHE Mental Health program is twofold: 1) to assist states in improving systems of care for mental health consumers and their families; and 2) to advance the preparation of a qualified mental health workforce in the West.

Western Psychiatric State Hospital Association (WPSHA)
WPSHA is committed to ensuring that effective, state-of-the-art mental health treatment and rehabilitation services are provided to the citizens served by publicly operated hospitals. The fifteen states belonging to WPSHA include: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.

Yankton Area Mental Wellness, Inc.
Yankton Area Mental Wellness, Inc., referred to as YAMWI, had its beginning in 1999, when a mental wellness conference was established in Yankton, South Dakota, as an annual event. The organization continues to offer an annual conference the first part of June.