Mobile Menu Button

Energy and Weatherization Assistance

Apply Online

Energy Assistance helps low-income South Dakotans pay for their home heating costs.

The Weatherization Assistance Program is designed to help low income South Dakota households overcome the high cost of energy by making their homes more energy efficient.

For tips on saving money and energy in your home, please see Energy Savers Guide.

Low Income Energy Assistance

Energy Assistance helps low-income South Dakotans pay for home heating costs.

  • you must complete an application
  • your total gross income may not exceed maximum income guidelines
  • you must be responsible for paying home heating costs

Eligibility and assistance amounts are based on the number of people in the home, income, type and cost of heating and location. If eligible, the payment is made directly to the energy supplier.

2023-2024 Heating Season Income Limits

Household Size Maximum 3-month Income
1 Person $7,290
2 Person $9,827
3 Person $12,140
4 Person $14,452
5 Person $16,764
6 Person $19,077
7 Person $19,510
8 Person $19,944
9 Person $20,887
10 Person $22,815

Applying for Assistance

Complete an Application. The application must be signed by everyone living in the house age 18 or older.

What do I send when applying?
Provide Proof of Household Income everyone living in the house received in the 3 calendar months prior to the month of application.

  • This may include: copies of check stubs, employer's income statements, tax return, award letters, etc. Self-employed persons must send a complete copy of the previous year tax return.

Proof of Home heating and electric costs. Paid directly to an energy supplier or paid as part of rent.

  • This may include: a copy of a recent bill or fill ticket from the energy supplier, a statement from the energy supplier showing type of heat and account number, or a statement from the landlord verifying heat is paid as part of rent or in addition to the rent.

Scan, email OR mail all verifications to:
South Dakota Department of Social Services
Office of Energy Assistance
910 East Sioux Ave.
Pierre, SD 57501

After Applying for Assistance

  • You will be notified by mail of your eligibility determination
  • If additional information is required, a letter will be sent to you requesting the needed information
  • Applications will be processed within 60 days
  • Call 800.233.8503 and press option 1 to check the application status.

Emergency Components
Energy Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP) provides assistance to households with an energy crisis. To qualify for ECIP assistance, the household must be income eligible and in crisis, such as:

  • a current disconnection notice for the primary heat source;
  • required to provide cash-on-delivery, or delivery refusal with less than 20% in tank; or
  • received an eviction notice for non-payment if heat is included in rent or paid in addition to rent.

If at any time you receive a disconnect notice, or have less than 20% in of fuel remaining in your tank, help may be available.  Call 800-233-8503 OR e-mail a copy of the disconnect notice to
What are the office hours?

  • Office hours: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. (CT) Monday-Friday.
  • If it is an emergency, call 800.233.8503.
  • If you are not calling during office hours, leave a message on the answering machine stating your name, phone number and a brief description of the emergency.

Other Resources and Information

Vendor Information

There are two forms available for energy suppliers for the Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP). The Vendor Claim Form is an online submission form.

However, you will still need to fill out and mail the Direct Deposit Enrollment Form.

  • Vendor Claim Online Form - Form used to submit claims.
  • Instructions on the Vendor Claim Form:
    • Type in your Vendor ID and Password.
    • Click on either List View or Search.
    • List View displays the entire list while Search allows you to limit the display on List View.
    • List View allows you to Click on Case Number which opens the Claim Submission page.
    • Claim Submission is for entry of your claim data.
      • Delivery/Meter Read Date: This is the delivery date OR the meter read date. A valid date must be entered.
      • Number of Units: Enter gallons / cubic feet / kWh. A number must be entered.
      • Unit Price: Enter price per gallon / cubic feet kWh. Unit Price needs to be in a number with the decimal.
      • Billing Amount: This is the cost of the number of units multiplied by the unit price plus sales tax. Billing Amount needs to be in a number with the decimal.
    • Click on the Submit Button to Submit your Claim.
    • The Claim will automatically be sent to the Office of Energy Assistance in Pierre.
  • Vendor Claim Print Form - Form to be filled out and mailed in (temporarily) if you are unable to use and submit the online form above.
  • Direct Deposit Enrollment Form - Form to enroll in direct deposit of payments.
    • Mail the completed Direct Deposit form to the following address:
      • South Dakota Department of Social Services
        Office of Energy Assistance
        910 East Sioux Ave.
        Pierre, SD 57501
      • Call 800.233.8503 if you have questions.

Weatherization Assistance

The Weatherization Assistance Program is designed to help low income South Dakota households overcome the high cost of energy by making their homes more energy efficient.

Weatherization work is completed by four different community action programs serving specific counties throughout the state. See the list of community action programs below to contact the program serving your county.

Weatherization Measures

The weatherization of a home may or may not include weatherization measures such as:

  • Weather-stripping of doors and windows.
  • Caulking and sealing cracks and holes in a building structure.
  • Insulating attics, walls and under floors.
  • Repair, tune-up or replacement of non-functional heating systems.
  • Incidental repairs necessary to protect the weatherization material.


Eligibility is based on household income. Priority is given to the elderly, individuals with disabilities, families with children and single family dwellings.

There is no cost for weatherization assistance. However, funds are limited so you may be placed on a waiting list. Renters are eligible if the landlord gives written permission for the work to be done, and a contribution from the landlord will be required.

Income Guidelines

Household Size Annual Income Maximum
1 $23,760
2 $32,040
3 $40,320
4 $48,600
5 $56,880
6 $65,160
7 $73,460
8 $81,780
9 $90,100
10 $98,420

Contact Information

Inter-Lakes Community Action
PO Box 268, Madison SD 57042-0268
Phone: 605.256.6518 | 800.896.4105
Fax: 605.256.2238

Counties Served: Brookings, Clark, Codington, Deuel, Grant, Hamlin, Kingsbury, Lake, McCook, Miner, Minnehaha, Moody.

Rural Office of Community Services
PO Box 547, Wagner SD 57380-0547
Phone: 605.384.3883 | 800.793.3290
Fax: 605.384.3737

Counties Served: Aurora, Bon Homme, Brule, Buffalo, Charles Mix, Clay, Davison, Douglas, Gregory, Hanson, Hutchinson, Jerauld, Jones, Lincoln, Lyman, Mellette, Sanborn, Todd, Tripp, Turner, Yankton, Union.

Grow South Dakota
104 Ash St. E., Sisseton SD 57262-1551
Phone: 605.698.7654
Fax: 605.698.3038

Counties Served: Beadle, Brown, Campbell, Day, Edmunds, Faulk, Hand, Hughes, Hyde, McPherson, Marshall, Potter, Roberts, Spink, Stanley, Sully, Walworth.
Western South Dakota Community Action
1844 Lombardy Drive, Rapid City SD 57701-4130
Phone: 605.348.1460 | 800.327.1703
Fax: 605.348.8440

Counties Served: Bennett, Butte, Corson, Custer, Dewey, Fall River, Haakon, Harding, Jackson, Lawrence, Meade, Perkins, Oglala Lakota, Pennington, Ziebach.