Mobile Menu Button

Social Work Examiners Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between a CEU and a contact hour?

One CEU is equal to 10 contact hours of participation in a noncredit organized continuing education program conducted by an approved sponsor. Therefore, if you attend a program approved for .6 CEU's, it is the same as 6 contact hours.

You must complete 30 contact hours in your two year licensure period, or 3 CEU's in order to renew your license.

How do I compute continuing education hours from hours earned at an accredited college or university?

One academic credit hour is equal to 15 contact hours of participation in a noncredit continuing education program.

How often is the examination given?

The examination is given Monday through Saturday in Sioux Falls, South Dakota or at an approved location of your choice. However, you must be approved by this Board in order to sit for the examination

Out of state applicants for CSW-PIP licensure must have full Board approval to sit for the examination or full Board approval for licensure if you have taken the examination in another state.  Please remember you must wait until the Board meets (approximately every 2 months) for your application materials to be considered.

What is the difference between the Social Work Board and the National Association of Social Workers?

The Social Work Board has as its main goal protection of the public by regulating the professionals it licenses.

The National Association of Social Workers (NASW) is an organization that promotes the profession of social work. The South Dakota Chapter of NASW may be reached at 605.339.9104 or at PO Box 1245 Sioux Falls, SD 57101.

How do I obtain a list of licensed social workers?

  • Email a request to
  • Mail a request to 810 N. Main St. Suite 298, Spearfish, SD 57783.

Where do I find the of Social Work Board (ASWB)?

  • Mailing address is 400 S. Ridge Parkway, Suite B, Culpeper, VA 22701.
  • Phone number if 540.829.6880.
  • Website at